Some people see chiropractic care as a last resort for their pain because they have heard negative things about the profession. Here is a glimpse at some of the top myths we have heard over the years.
- Myth: Having an adjustment by a chiropractor is not safe.
Truth: According to studies, a chiropractic adjustment can be safer than most day-to-day activities like stargazing or having your hair washed at the beauty salon. Pro athletes that have been playing for a long time such as Tom Brady and Tiger Woods see a chiropractor.
- Myth: Prescription drugs, including the non-prescription variety, are safe to use.
Truth: Prolonged use of NSAIDS such as ibuprofen can cause problems such as ulcers, gastrointestinal distress and rebound headaches. Chiropractic care offers a natural alternative to these drugs.
- Myth: After you’ve seen a chiropractor once, you’ll need to go back all of the time.
Truth: Many of our patients choose chiropractic care as a part of their health maintenance because they see the benefits. Chiropractic is more then just adjustments. We incorporate exercise, diet tips, and supplements to keep you active and healthy.
- Myth: A chiropractor isn’t actually a doctor.
Truth: Most chiropractic students have a 4 year undergraduate degree prior to attending Chiropractic school. A chiropractic program is a 5 year program condensed into 3.25 years where future chiropractors receive 4,485 hours of college classroom instruction while medical students receive around 4,248 hours.
- Myth: The sounds you hear during an adjustment are the sound of your bones rubbing together.
Truth: The sound is actually gas from inside the joint being released. When this occurs, a popping noise can be heard. It is safe and effective when done correctly.
- Myth: Chiropractic care can become costly.
Truth: Several insurance companies cover chiropractic adjustments. These health insurers are aware of the statistical benefits of preventative care compared to other treatment options like prescription medication and surgery.
Posted In: Chiropractic